Berryville Main Street (BMS) is seeking an Executive Director to lead a strong downtown revitalization program for Berryville, VA. BMS is part of Virginia Main Street, a nationwide initiative to promote economic vitalization in small towns across the United States. The individual selected for this important position will provide leadership, direction, and administration of the programs and services provided by BMS, including the Fire House Gallery and Shop (FHG), a local art gallery that features high-quality handmade items for local and regional artists, including paintings sculpture, fiber art, wood, stained glass, jewelry, pottery, and more. He/she will be responsible for building and maintaining positive relationships with existed business partners and encouraging non-partner town businesses to become involved in this community effort and will work with the BMS Board of Directors, local government and local officials, and volunteer and paid staff in the FHG.
Individual selected for this position will be expected to promote a positive organizational and personal image and work effectively with individuals in varying roles throughout the community. He/she will be required to work 25 hours a week and recruit, train, and motivate paid staff and volunteers. Preferred qualifications include a Bachelor’s degree in administration, management and implementation of community development programs and/or economic development programs, demonstrated skills in operating MS Office and social media platforms, prior working experience and knowledge about downtown revitalization redevelopment, and marketing, and the ability to organize time and tasks.
The Executive Director of Berryville Main Street (BMS) leads and maintains a strong and aggressive downtown revitalization program for Berryville, VA. He/she provides overall leadership, direction, and administration of the programs and services provided by Berryville Main Street, including the Fire House Gallery and Shop, and reports directly to the President of the Board. This position is a part-time, high profile position within the community. As the Berryville Main Street Manager, the position requires program management skills, the ability to work effectively with community officials, the ability to manage volunteer and paid staff working in community events and in the Fire House Gallery and Shop, skills in leveraging the latest office technologies, and professionalism and confidentiality.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Builds and maintains positive relationships with existing business partners and encourages non-partner town businesses to become involved in this community effort.
- Promotes a positive organizational and personal image; is available to the public and media and maintains contacts with individuals important to Berryville Main Street and to the Fire House Gallery and Shop.
- In conjunction with the Board, develops, implements, assesses, and communicates strategic plans, including short-, medium-, and long-range goals for Berryville Main Street and Fire House Gallery, to ensure that community and organizational needs are being met. Develops plans of action for assigned areas of responsibility, including estimated expenditures and projected manpower requirements, and communicates information to the Berryville Main Street Board.
- Schedules at least 40 hours “open” hours of the Gallery per week between staff and volunteers, including a minimum of 7 open hours on Saturday.
- Works closely with the Berryville Main Street treasurer in regards to the fiscal performance of Berryville Main Street, including the Fire House Gallery and Shop, to assure quality service within budgeted expenditures.
- Works closely with Berryville Main Street’s events committee to ensure scheduled events meet the desires of the Berryville community and are implemented effectively and successfully. Evaluates events’ success and makes recommendations for improvement.
- Stays abreast of downtown development, needs, and shifts, recommends and implements modifications to meet changing needs, and manages government relations.
- Fulfills the requirements for Virginia Main Street Program to retain status as a Main Street town. Attends Virginia Main Street meetings and annual workshops to fulfill requirements.
- Recruits, trains and motivates volunteers for Berryville Main Street’s four committees and for the Fire House Gallery and Shop.
- Demonstrates the ability to communicate orally and in written form with the board, the public, and government agencies.
Education and Experience preferred:
- Preferred Bachelor’s degree in administration, management, and implementation of community development programs and/or economic development programs.
- Prior working experience and knowledge about downtown revitalization, redevelopment, and marketing strongly preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to recruit, manage, motivate, and evaluate performance of clerical staff and volunteers.
- Demonstrated ability to get along with people and maintain Berryville Main Street’s positive image.
- Required to works 25 hours per week, including a minimum of 5 hours on Saturday. Must be capable of adapting to flexible hours during special projects, including some nights and weekends. Certain events may require prolonged standing and moving.
- Knowledge of operating MS Office and social media platforms.
- Must be able to organize time and tasks, assessing priorities and exercising self-discipline to follow through in all work assignments.
If interested, please send your resume to: email@example.com or contact Patty Maples at 703.966.7215.